August 15, 2022
 

Turda. Catholic Church

Author(s)/Editor(s): WEISZ Attila

Year published: 2005

Page count: 20

Size: 12 x 19 cm

Languages: Hungarian

ISBN 973-26-0795-5

Publisher: KRITERION

Sponsors: National Cultural Fund, Hungary

Stock availability: On order

Sell Price: 0.00RON

Turda. Catholic Church

The Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania, launched in 1993, presents the most precious examples of Transylvanian built heritage connected to the Hungarian culture, with the purpose of drawing the general public's attention on values, heritage and our responsibilities towards these. The publications of this series are recommended especially to those who at present own or use such values, but also to those who are interested in history, architecture and the Transylvanian art.

Number 40 of the Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania presents the Catholic Church from  Turda. The first archive documents that mention the archpriest's district of Turda date from 1272. Since the 1320s the first data appear about the meetings of the nobility congregations on the Cross Field on the opposite bank of the ArieĊŸ River, due to which soon after that, the church from Old Turda became the gathering place for the Transylvanian Diets. The church (dedicated in the Middle Ages to St. Nicholas), the roomiest place of worship in nowadays Turda, stands on the northern side of the main square. The church interior and western elevation built between 1465 and 1504 in late Gothic style were rebuilt in the first part of the 19th century in late Classicist-Baroque style. The furniture of the church was made in Empire style.