November 30, 2021
 

Miercurea Ciuc. Mikó Castle

Author(s)/Editor(s): MIHÁLY Zita, SZŐCS János

Year published: 1996

Page count: 16

Size: 12 x 19 cm

Languages: Hungarian

ISBN 973-97618-2-8

Publisher: UTILITAS

Stock availability: On order

Sell Price: 0.00RON

Miercurea Ciuc. Mikó Castle

The Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania, launched in 1993, presents the most precious examples of Transylvanian built heritage connected to the Hungarian culture, with the purpose of drawing the general public's attention on values, heritage and our responsibilities towards these. The publications of this series are recommended especially to those who at present own or use such values, but also to those who are interested in history, architecture and the Transylvanian art.

Number 14 of the Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania presents the Mikó Castle in Miercurea Ciuc. The construction of the rectangular castle with four corner bastions was completed by the beginning of the 1630s the latest, receiving its name from Ferenc Mikó, captain-general of Ciuc, who ordered the construction. The castle suffered major damages during the Turkish and Tatar devastation in 1661, and was rebuilt only 50 years later by the orders of General Stephan Steinville. Between 1764 and 1849, the imperial captaincy of the Szekler regiment resided here, after which the building functioned as barracks. Presently it is the seat of the Szekler Museum of Ciuc.