November 30, 2021
 

Ilieni. Fortified Calvinist Church

Author(s)/Editor(s): GYÖNGYÖSSY János

Year published: 1994

Page count: 16

Size: 12 x 19 cm

Languages: Hungarian

ISBN 973-96728-3-3

Publisher: CASTRUM

Sponsors: The Reformed Parish of Ilieni

Stock availability: On order

Sell Price: 0.00RON

Ilieni. Fortified Calvinist Church

The Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania, launched in 1993, presents the most precious examples of Transylvanian built heritage connected to the Hungarian culture, with the purpose of drawing the general public's attention on values, heritage and our responsibilities towards these. The publications of this series are recommended especially to those who at present own or use such values, but also to those who are interested in history, architecture and the Transylvanian art.

Number 9 of the Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania presents the Fortified Calvinist Church in Ilieni, a settlement in the Szekler Region. Its bell tower, located south from the church, belongs to the building’s first fortification system, around which a second one was built during the 17th century (similarly to the Calvinist Church in Sfântu Gheorghe). Originally, a 14th century Gothic building stood in the place of the present church. Due to an earthquake in 1738, the church suffered serious damage, thus the present building and its furnishing date from 1782-1785.