November 30, 2021
 

Hodod. Clavinist Church

Author(s)/Editor(s): EMŐDI Tamás

Year published: 1996

Page count: 12

Size: 12 x 19 cm

Languages: Hungarian

ISBN 973-97618-8-7

Publisher: UTILITAS

Sponsors: Királyhágómellék Reformed Church District – Hodod Parish

Stock availability: On order

Sell Price: 0.00RON

Hodod. Clavinist Church

The Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania, launched in 1993, presents the most precious examples of Transylvanian built heritage connected to the Hungarian culture, with the purpose of drawing the general public's attention on values, heritage and our responsibilities towards these. The publications of this series are recommended especially to those who at present own or use such values, but also to those who are interested in history, architecture and the Transylvanian art.

Number 19 of the Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania presents the Calvinist Church in Hodod. In 1383, the settlement became the property of the just emerging Jakcs of Kusaly family, whose members built the St. Ladislaus' Church in the 15th century, in Gothic style. The western tower of the church composed by a nave and a polygonal choir was built in the 1900s, replacing the original one that was unsafe from a static viewpoint. The nave's original ribbed vault did not survive either. The most valuable piece of the church interior is the florid late Renaissance pulpit, ordered in 1754 by Zsuzsanna Rhédei, praising the mastery of stonemason Dávid Sipos.