October 21, 2021
 

Deva. The Franciscan Monastery

Author(s)/Editor(s): KOVÁCS András

Year published: 2007

Page count: 16

Size: 12 x 19 cm

Languages: Hungarian

ISBN 978-973-26-0906-4

Publisher: KRITERION

Sponsors: National Cultural Fund, Hungary

Stock availability: On order

Sell Price: 0.00RON

Deva. The Franciscan Monastery

The Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania, launched in 1993, presents the most precious examples of Transylvanian built heritage connected to the Hungarian culture, with the purpose of drawing the general public's attention on values, heritage and our responsibilities towards these. The publications of this series are recommended especially to those who at present own or use such values, but also to those who are interested in history, architecture and the Transylvanian art.

Number 4 of the Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania presents the (Bulgarite) Franciscan Monastery from Deva. The ensemble was built between 1723 and 1724, then transformed between  1762 and 1766. The church consisting of a tower, a nave and a polygonal chancel closes the eastern side of the quadrilateral courtyard of the single-level monastery. Inside the monastery, the areas destined for mass (sacristy) and for monastic life (refectory, kitchen, the monks' cells) are connected to the corridor opened towards the courtyard. The monastery was abolished after the religious reformation in 1948. From the moment of its rehabilitation in 1992, in the building was set a cultural and education centre for the Hungarian diaspora.