November 30, 2021
 

Delniţa. Saint John's Church

Author(s)/Editor(s): SARUDI Sebestyén József

Year published: 1996

Page count: 16

Size: 12 x 19 cm

Languages: Hungarian

ISBN 973-97618-4-4

Publisher: UTILITAS

Stock availability: On order

Sell Price: 0.00RON

Delniţa. Saint John's Church

The Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania, launched in 1993, presents the most precious examples of Transylvanian built heritage connected to the Hungarian culture, with the purpose of drawing the general public's attention on values, heritage and our responsibilities towards these. The publications of this series are recommended especially to those who at present own or use such values, but also to those who are interested in history, architecture and the Transylvanian art.

Number 15 of the Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania presents the St. John's Church in Delniţa. The building was presumably the common parish church of Ciceu, Delniţa and Păuleni-Ciuc villages. The present aspect of the hall church formed by a western tower, a nave and a polygonal choir was obtained in the 15th century; the Gothic frame of the southern entrance decorated with roll mouldings hints to this construction period, as well as the fresco fragment above the mentioned frame, the choir's vault and the windows that end in pointed arches. The building was devastated in 1661; the nave's Renaissance coffered ceiling being built after this period (1637-1675). One of the most valuable pieces of the church furnishing is a Renaissance winged altar dating from 1675.