November 30, 2021
 

Cehu Silvaniei. Calvinist Church

Author(s)/Editor(s): EMŐDI Tamás

Year published: 1996

Page count: 12

Size: 12 x 19 cm

Languages: Hungarian

ISBN 973-97772-0-1

Publisher: UTILITAS

Sponsors: Királyhágómellék Reformed Church District – Cehu Silvaniei Parish

Stock availability: On order

Sell Price: 0.00RON

Cehu Silvaniei. Calvinist Church

The Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania, launched in 1993, presents the most precious examples of Transylvanian built heritage connected to the Hungarian culture, with the purpose of drawing the general public's attention on values, heritage and our responsibilities towards these. The publications of this series are recommended especially to those who at present own or use such values, but also to those who are interested in history, architecture and the Transylvanian art.

Number 21 of the Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania presents the Calvinist Church of Cehu Silvaniei, located on the bank of the Sălaj River, slightly west from the Someş Valley. The village appeared in written sources relatively late, only in 1405. During the 15th century, the settlement was in the possession of two noble families: the Jakcs of Kusaly and the Drágffy de Béltek. In the 15th century, the members of these two families built a Gothic hall church, as it may be also concluded by examining the emblazoned keystones of the choir's vault. The church's western tower was built in 1614. The church, which in time proved to be too small, was expanded with aisles, first in 1801 and then in 1905, when it also received its Classicist interior. The two most valuable pieces of the furnishing are a Gothic bell and a 15th century choir stall.