October 21, 2021
 

Baia Mare. Historical Centre

Author(s)/Editor(s): WEISZ Attila

Year published: 2007

Page count: 20

Size: 12 x 19 cm

Languages: Hungarian

ISBN 973-26-0894-3, ISBN 978-973-26-0894-4

Publisher: KRITERION

Sponsors: National Cultural Fund, Hungary

Stock availability: On order

Sell Price: 0.00RON

Baia Mare. Historical Centre

The Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania, launched in 1993, presents the most precious examples of Transylvanian built heritage connected to the Hungarian culture, with the purpose of drawing the general public's attention on values, heritage and our responsibilities towards these. The publications of this series are recommended especially to those who at present own or use such values, but also to those who are interested in history, architecture and the Transylvanian art.

Number 44 of the Series Historic Buildings in Transylvania presents the historical centre of Baia Mare. The first presence in documents of the settlement dates from 1327, its importance being proved by mentioning the school in 1387, the Franciscan hospital in 1408 and the mint in 1411. In the times of the Transylvanian Principality, Baia Mare became a border town. Its inhabitants were converted to protestantism in 1547. The building of St. Stephen's Church started in 1347. During the 16th century it was used by the Calvinist congregation, but, due to the Counter-reformation, it lost its purpose. It was dismantled in the 19th century, but for its tower, which remained untouched and became the symbol of the town. The main square with a special atmosphere was rehabilitated at the beginning of the 3rd millennium.